Thursday, December 10, 2009

Let's sing one more round of "Itsy Bitsy Spider" everybody. And Cole stop touching Ethan!




Okay, so here's how the story begins. And not Twas The Night Before Christmas story, however that has something to do with it.

This morning I took Elvis to school. He was more excited than usual because I was staying for a little while. You see, since I am still in the running for Mother of the Year, I volunteered to help Elvis's class work on their lines for their Christmas Program. They are reciting Twas The Night Before Christmas. It's going to be a disaster. I'll tell you right now. 4 year olds trying to remember "kerchief", "coursers" and "bowl full of jelly." Honestly. But I agreed to help so I'll try to be positive.

Well, we arrived at school and the kids in his group were sitting in their circle working on the alphabet. We are always late. Poor Elvis is only going to know the last 9 letters of the alphabet. I sat down in the group and suddenly an announcement comes booming over the PA system. "We are now experiencing an immediate lockdown. Please begin lockdown procedures."

You gotta be sh*tting me! The teachers gather up 17 two, three and four year olds plus me and shove us into a 6 x 12 foot bathroom that is also being used as a teacher coat room and storage closet and shut the door. I was informed at this time that it was a "practice" lockdown and not to panic. Oh thanks for telling me cuz standing here with all these little guys thinking this was a "real" lockdown wasn't doing my already high blood pressure any good.

Needless to say folks, when they do a lockdown, all the rooms in the building must be checked and cleared before you can come out. WE WERE IN THERE FOR 55 MINUTES! Not kidding. We sang, read a book, played "I spy", recited the ABC's (Elvis was shocked to hear the 15 letters that come before the letter "R".) I think I heard the teachers say, "I know you are hot, I am too and please stop touching so and so" probably 15,000 times.

Elvis's teachers rock. They did the best they could in very tight quarters. If it was a "real" lockdown, God forbid, they would keep those little people safe. I am glad I was there for Elvis. It was scary. It's sad we have to practice these things. I would have much rather heard Twas The Night Before Christmas recited by 4 year olds. No matter how painful.

*Regarding the video above. It's totally amateur but cute nonetheless. I hope when Ladycakes, Q and Elvis are in their twenties they remember and appreciate all of our family traditions.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an exciting day at school! I think I would've had a panic attack in that small bathroom with all those people for 55 mins! I'm sure your son was happy you were there, even if this was just a drill. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I love meeting new people through blogging, and it's always nice to see a new face. Have a great weekend! Steph

    ReplyDelete


Thanks Carol@ Songberries